Monday 3 June 2013

Living Only on Ramen

By now you may have heard of the UK girl who has eaten nothing but ramen for the past 13 years. She is surprisingly still alive. Anyway, DrGullo.com contacted me to get my thoughts. They didn’t print what all I said about it, so I’ll share the full quote from me below. First the story:

A recent news story came out about an 18-year-old from the U.K. who eats the same thing every day – and nothing else. Georgi Readman is totally hooked on Ramen noodles. The 98-lb. girl has been eating them daily for 13 years and “hate(s) the texture of fruit and vegetables.” Unsurprisingly, doctors have condemned extreme diets like this one, stating that she likely “has the health of an 80-year-old” and may suffer from osteoporosis, kidney damage, hypertension, cognitive impairment, stunted growth, and of course, malnourishment.

The article continues:

Not all diets are as extreme as Readman’s, and most people who eat Ramen now and then wouldn’t dream of living exclusively on it. Matt Fischer, for example, is a Ramen critic and expert who told us, “If that was all you were going to eat, you’d really need to enhance it with extra ingredients.” Matt went on to recommend Ramen stir fries, salads, and even egg drop soup.

Now what I continued to say was “You can also make it bit healthier by using less of the flavor packet which is where all the sodium is. Personally, I could never do it, I like variety too much, even with a versatile ingredient like ramen.” I did not go into the health impacts, and I am not a doctor, but there is not a single thing on earth, besides water, that you should eat that much of.

I’m curious, what’s the longest you guys have gone eating only ramen? For me it’s probably only a day.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment